First Lady Melania Trump dropped a bomb on Wednesday when she revealed that her 14 year-old son Barron tested positive for coronavirus after an initial negative test.
“It was two weeks ago when I received the diagnosis that so many Americans across our country and the world had already received—I tested positive for COVID-19. To make matters worse, my husband, and our nation’s Commander-in-Chief, received the same news,” Melania said in a statement  released on Wednesday.
While the world knew that Melania and President Donald Trump had tested positive for COVID-19, what the First Lady said next in her statement came as a shock.
“Naturally my mind went immediately to our son,” she said. “To our great relief he tested negative, but again, as so many parents have thought over the past several months, I couldn’t help but think “what about tomorrow or the next day?”. My fear came true when he was tested again and it came up positive. Luckily he is a strong teenager and exhibited no symptoms. In one way I was glad the three of us went through this at the same time so we could take care of one another and spend time together. He has since tested negative.”
Stephanie Grisham, Melania’s chief of staff and spokeswoman, had told USA Today  on October 2 that Barron “has tested negative, and all precautions are being taken to ensure he’s kept safe and healthy.” This seems to have been after his negative test but before his positive one.
Melania went on to talk about her own experience battling coronavirus, which has infected millions of people all over the globe.
“I was very fortunate as my diagnosis came with minimal symptoms, though they hit me all at once and it seemed to be a roller coaster of symptoms in the days after,” she said. “I experienced body aches, a cough and headaches, and felt extremely tired most of the time. I chose to go a more natural route in terms of medicine, opting more for vitamins and healthy food. ”
Melania added that her time battling COVID-19 gave her the chance to reflect not only on her family, but on the entire world.
“Recovering from an illness gives you a lot of time to reflect,” she said. “When my husband was taken to Walter Reed as a precaution, I spent much of my time reflecting on my family. I also thought about the hundreds of thousands of people across our country who have been impacted by this illness that infects people with no discrimination. We are in unprecedented times—and with the election fast approaching, it has been easy to get caught up in so much negative energy.”
Thankfully, Melania concluded her statement by saying that she has recovered and has tested negative for coronavirus.
“I am happy to report that I have tested negative and hope to resume my duties as soon as I can,” the First Lady said. “Along with this good news, I want people to know that I understand just how fortunate my family is to have received the kind of care that we did. If you are sick, or if you have a loved one who is sick—I am thinking of you and will be thinking of you every day. I pray for our country and I pray for everyone who is grappling with COVID-19 and any other illnesses or challenges.”
“Thank you to everyone who reached out, and offered well wishes and prayers for our family,” Melania concluded. “You remain in ours as well.”