Judge Jeanine Pirro has responded to the Department of Justice’s motion to block former President Donald Trump’s request for a special master, describing it as “just another witch hunt.”
“If you’re not convinced this is just another witch hunt, well, new reports say the DOJ is waiting past the midterms to reveal any Trump charges,” Pirro said while appearing on Fox News . “This is a blatantly political move. The DOJ has a policy of not bringing charges against political figures so close to an election, but they don’t have to charge Trump in order to affect the election.”
“The simple act of raiding the former president’s home casts a major shadow over the Republican Party less than three months before the midterms,” she added. “Instead of focusing on Joe Biden’s crime-infested cities, empty grocery shelves, high gas prices and inflation, everyone is talking about Trump. The border, inflation, high gas, who cares? Trump’s got a love letter from Rocket Man at Mar-a-Lago. I remember the days when Democrats cried foul when Comey opened up an investigation right before an election.”
“But now that the shoe is on Donald Trump’s foot, I don’t hear any of those phonies complaining now,” Pirro concluded.
Check out her full comments on this in the video below.
This comes after the Department of Justice claimed in its filing  that it has “evidence that government records were likely concealed and removed from the Storage Room and that efforts were likely taken to obstruct the government’s investigation.”
The Department of Justice went on to say that it has “evidence indicating that boxes formerly in the Storage Room were not returned prior to counsel’s review.”
“That the FBI, in a matter of hours, recovered twice as many documents with classification markings as the ‘diligent search’ that the former President’s counsel and other representatives had weeks to perform calls into serious question the representations made in the June 3 certification and casts doubt on the extent of cooperation in this matter,” the filing read.
In response to Trump’s request for a special master, the Justice Department said, “As an initial matter, the former President lacks standing to seek judicial relief or oversight as to Presidential records because those records do not belong to him.”
The Justice Department went on to argue that an “appointment of a special master is unnecessary and would significantly harm important governmental interests, including national security interests.” It added that it “would impede the government’s ongoing criminal investigation” and also an ongoing review by the intelligence community into “the national security risk that improper storage of these highly sensitive materials may have caused and from identifying measures to rectify or mitigate any damage that improper storage caused.”
Axios reported  that Trump is demanding that the FBI return the documents agents seized when raiding his Mar-a-Lago estate last month.
“It has just been learned that the FBI, in its now famous raid of Mar-a-Lago, took boxes of privileged ‘attorney-client’ material, and also ‘executive’ privileged material, which they knowingly should not have taken,” Trump said. “By copy of this TRUTH, I respectfully request that these documents be immediately returned to the location from which they were taken.”
It remains to be seen whether or not Trump will be indicted.