Officials announced Thursday that the suspect accused of shooting two Washington, D.C., National Guardsmen drove across the country from Washington state to carry out the attack.
The update was delivered [1] during a press conference led by United States Attorney for the District of Columbia Jeanine Pirro and FBI Director Kash Patel as investigators continued reviewing the suspect’s background and movements.
Pirro opened by acknowledging the condition of the two Guardsmen, who remain in critical condition.
The victims were identified earlier in the week as West Virginia National Guardsmen Andrew Wolfe and Sarah Beckstrom.
The suspect, 29-year-old Rahmanullah Lakanwal, is an Afghan national who worked with the CIA as a member of a partner force in Kandahar, Afghanistan.
He entered the United States under Operation Allies Welcome, the resettlement program implemented following what Pirro described as “the disastrous withdrawal from Afghanistan.”
Pirro said Lakanwal carried out the shooting using a .357 Smith & Wesson revolver. “A lone gunman opened fire without provocation, ambush style, armed with a .357 Smith & Wesson revolver. The guardsman is struck, goes down, and then the shooter leans over and strikes the guardsman again,” she said.
“Another guardsman is struck several times. Fellow guardsmen who were there responded immediately, engaging the suspect, neutralizing the threat, and subduing him at the scene.”
Lakanwal was transported to a local hospital, where he is under guard.
Pirro said the rapid response from the National Guard and the Metropolitan Police Department prevented additional casualties.
She also confirmed that the suspect lived in Bellingham, Washington, with his wife and five children.
Pirro stated that investigators now believe the attack was planned in advance and that Lakanwal traveled across the country to target National Guard personnel in the nation’s capital.
“We’re working very closely with our federal partners, especially DHS and the FBI, to review his immigration history and the vetting process itself,” she said.
“What we know about him is that he drove his vehicle across country from the state of Washington with the intended target of coming to our nation’s capital.”
Pirro outlined the charges Lakanwal is currently facing.
“As we stand here today, the charges that are appropriate right now are three counts of assault with intent to kill while armed… he will also be charged with possession of a firearm during a crime of violence. He faces 15 years under the assault with the intent to kill. We intend to continue monitoring what the charges will be depending upon the well-being of the guardsmen. We are praying that they survive and that the highest charge will not have to be murder in the first degree.”
FBI Director Kash Patel provided additional details about the federal investigation.
Patel said search warrants were carried out at multiple locations connected to the suspect.
“The search warrant was executed on that house last night or early this morning, and it is an ongoing process,” Patel said.
“All the individuals found in the house have been interviewed, and some interviews remain ongoing. We will not stop until we interview anyone and everyone associated with the subject, the house, and every piece of his life.”
Investigators continue to review Lakanwal’s background, including information related to his entry into the United States, prior activity, and any potential associates.