Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police have released bodycam footage showing Decarlos Brown, the man charged with killing Ukrainian refugee Iryna Zarutska, during a welfare check months before the fatal attack, as reported [1] by The Gateway Pundit.
The footage, recorded in January 2025, captures Brown shouting at officers and insisting he was being controlled by an unknown foreign substance.
According to police, Brown called 911 multiple times that night. In the video, he repeatedly claims that a “man-made material” had been placed inside his body.
I have confirmed that Decarlos Brown Jr. was released on NO CASH BAIL in January of 2025, despite being diagnosed with schizophrenia.
He allegedly called 911 to tell the operators he had,
“A man-made material in his body which was controlling his actions…”
They let him go. pic.twitter.com/7V9PqYTtug [2]
— Matt Van Swol (@mattvanswol) September 8, 2025 [3]
During the welfare check, an officer is heard asking Brown whether he had ever been diagnosed with an illness. Brown responded, “They tried to diagnose me with schizophrenia, but what the f*ck is that?”
When asked if he was taking any medication, he replied, “Man, no!” Brown then said, “Why would I take any type of medicine if my body got exposed to ‘man-made materials?’”
The footage shows Brown continuing to insist something foreign was affecting him, with officers attempting to determine whether he posed a danger to himself or others.
Police confirmed Brown was ultimately left in the care of medical personnel that night.
Several months later, in August, Brown fatally stabbed 35-year-old Iryna Zarutska on a Charlotte light rail train.
Zarutska, a Ukrainian refugee, was seated and scrolling through her phone when Brown attacked her, stabbing her multiple times as passengers looked on. After the stabbing, Brown walked away as a trail of blood remained on the floor of the train.
TRAGIC
Friends and family are remembering 23-year-old
Iryna Zarutska,
a young Ukrainian refugee,
artist and animal lover who was building a new life in Charlotte before her life was tragically cut short in South End.She is remembered for her radiant smile,
creativity,… pic.twitter.com/n5WgaDwUwr [4]— Jakey (@JacobBaker613) September 7, 2025 [5]
Records show Brown’s criminal history dates back to 2007. He had multiple prior arrests before the August homicide. Magistrate Judge Teresa Stokes later released Brown after the incident because he promised to return to court.
Following further review of the case, a federal grand jury returned an indictment last month, and the charges Brown now faces make him eligible for the death penalty.
The newly released bodycam footage offers additional insight into Brown’s state of mind earlier in the year and the series of police contacts leading up to the deadly attack on Zarutska.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police said the video was reviewed as part of the investigative timeline surrounding Brown’s interactions with law enforcement.
The case remains ongoing as federal prosecutors prepare to move forward with the charges filed in the grand jury indictment.
Authorities have requested additional information from anyone with relevant knowledge of Brown’s actions leading up to the August homicide.