Federal officials on Thursday identified the two West Virginia National Guard members critically injured in Wednesday’s terrorist attack in Washington, D.C., as 20-year-old Sarah Beckstrom and 24-year-old Andrew Wolfe.

Trump's Sovereign Wealth Fund: What Could It Mean For Your Money?

Both were shot near the White House in an attack that led to an immediate lockdown of the complex.

U.S. Attorney Jeanine Pirro released the names during a morning news conference.

Pirro said, “We have been in constant contact with their families and have provided them with every resource needed during this difficult time. The two National Guardsmen that we’re talking about are Sarah Beckstrom, who is 20 years old, and Andrew Wolf, who is 24 years old. They were uniformed members of the West Virginia National Guard, and they were in DC to keep DC safe, pursuant to President Trump’s executive order to Make DC Safe and Beautiful. They answered the call, they took the charge, they volunteered. They put their lives on the line for people they don’t even know, and that, unfortunately, is becoming a reality more and more for the members of law enforcement.”

This Could Be the Most Important Video Gun Owners Watch All Year

Are you glad President Trump is building the new WH ballroom?

By completing the poll, you agree to receive emails from Objectivist.co, occasional offers from our partners and that you've read and agree to our privacy policy and legal statement.

Pirro noted that both Beckstrom and Wolfe had been sworn in just one day before they volunteered for service in Washington, D.C., and were shot while on duty in the street.

Wolfe was first identified Wednesday night in a now-deleted Facebook post from Musselman High School in West Virginia.

The school wrote, “Our Applemen community is deeply saddened to learn that Musselman High School alumnus, Andrew Wolfe, was one of the National Guardsmen injured in the shooting in Washington, D.C. today. Andrew is currently in critical condition and undergoing surgery.”

The post added, “Please keep Andrew, his family, and all those affected in your thoughts.”

The two Guardsmen were attacked near the White House shortly before federal officers responded.

Video and eyewitness accounts showed officers performing CPR on the victims moments after the shooting.

Vice President JD Vance addressed the situation while speaking to service members at Fort Campbell in Kentucky.

He told the audience to “say a prayer for those two National Guardsmen that they’re able to spend Thanksgiving with their families, instead of losing their lives, because I understand they’re still in pretty tough condition.”

Authorities identified the suspect as 29-year-old Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal.

According to federal officials, Lakanwal entered the United States in 2021 under Biden’s “Operation Allies Welcome” program following the Afghanistan withdrawal.

His permission to remain in the country expired in September 2025, and officials said he has been living in the United States illegally since then.

President Trump addressed the nation late Wednesday night from Mar-a-Lago.

He had earlier confirmed that the suspect was “severely wounded,” along with the two National Guard members who were shot.

Federal authorities have not released additional details about the investigation or possible charges as Beckstrom and Wolfe remain in critical condition.

The opinions expressed by contributors and/or content partners are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Objectivist. Contact us for guidelines on submitting your own commentary.