The circumstances surrounding how an Afghan national who previously assisted the CIA overseas was admitted into the United States before carrying out a deadly attack in Washington, D.C., are coming into clearer focus, according to former national security officials.
President Donald Trump and his administration have taken several steps since the attack to prevent similar incidents.
On Wednesday, National Guard members Sarah Beckstrom, 20, and Andrew Wolfe, 24, were shot in an ambush in Washington, D.C. Beckstrom later died from her injuries. Wolfe remains hospitalized.
Trump's Sovereign Wealth Fund: What Could It Mean For Your Money?
Subscribe today
Objective reporting for the educated American.
MORE NEWS: Anti-ICE Rioters Trap Federal Agents, Snarl Traffic, and Clash With NYPD in Manhattan [WATCH]
President Trump has questioned how the suspect, who arrived in the United States under Joe Biden, was able to enter the country.
On Friday, Trump stated that directives signed in Biden’s name using the auto-pen during his presidency would not be considered legitimate.
Earlier in the day, he announced on X that the United States will “permanently pause migration from all Third World Countries to allow the U.S. system to fully recover, terminate all of the millions of Biden illegal admissions … and remove anyone who is not a net asset to the United States, or is incapable of loving our Country.”
A very Happy Thanksgiving salutation to all of our Great American Citizens and Patriots who have been so nice in allowing our Country to be divided, disrupted, carved up, murdered, beaten, mugged, and laughed at, along with certain other foolish countries throughout the World,…
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 28, 2025
This Could Be the Most Important Video Gun Owners Watch All Year
Among those offering new information about the suspect’s entry is Joe Kent, who served as Director of the National Counterterrorism Center under President Trump.
In a series of posts on X, Kent said the Biden-Harris administration relied on a limited vetting standard that assessed Afghan individuals only for their suitability to serve alongside U.S. forces overseas.
“The barbaric terrorist attack in Washington D.C. by an Afghan terrorist has spurred righteous outrage over the Biden admin’s policy of importing people hostile to our nation,” Kent wrote.
“It is true that the terrorist who conducted the attack in D.C. was ‘vetted’ by the intelligence community, however he was only vetted to serve as a soldier to fight against the Taliban, AQ, & ISIS IN Afghanistan, he was NOT vetted for his suitability to come to America and live among us as a neighbor, integrate into our communities, or eventually become an American citizen.”
MORE NEWS: ‘CIA Operation’: Democrats Are Trying to ‘Start a Color Revolution’ Says Wendy Rogers [WATCH]
Kent said the vetting process used during the Afghanistan withdrawal did not follow prior standards applied to Special Immigrant Visas.
“During Biden’s disastrous withdrawal from Afghanistan, his administration negligently used the vetting standard described above as the standard for being brought directly into the U.S., foregoing previous vetting standards applied to Special Immigrant Visas and any common sense vetting or concern for Americans,” he wrote.
He argued that the decision to prioritize speed led to widespread security gaps.
“Incidents like this aren’t isolated—they’re the predictable outcome of prioritizing speed and volume over security,” Kent said.
He called for “a strengthened and comprehensive vetting and removal process” to ensure that only individuals aligned with American values are admitted.
Vetting a foreigner in a war zone to determine if he will fight a common enemy is vastly different than vetting a foreigner to see if he is suitable to live in our country.
Yet under Biden tens of thousands of Afghans were brought to America using the war zone vetting standard.… https://t.co/5v4RnyTMdC
— Joe Kent (@joekent16jan19) November 28, 2025
MORE NEWS: New Country Song Shows Women Are Not Buying the Feminist Girlboss Lifestyle Anymore [WATCH]
Kent also described the broader scope of admissions during Biden’s presidency.
“As a result, over 85k Afghans—including individuals with backgrounds similar to this shooter—were rapidly admitted into our country without the rigorous vetting that has protected us in the past,” he wrote.
“And that’s just Afghans; broader immigration from Muslim majority nations & regions surged, with over 2 million individuals entering during Biden’s term, often with minimal scrutiny amid record border crossings. This is a deadly combination.”
In an additional message on Friday, Kent directly linked these policies to the attack.
“This is why the DC attack happened. The solution is rounding up everyone Biden let in & deporting them immediately,” he wrote.
Former National Security Adviser Mike Flynn also posted on X in support of the actions Kent described, including large-scale removals of individuals who entered the country during Biden’s tenure.
I am for this option!@realDonaldTrump @JDVance ??? https://t.co/YmZLBFkzP0
— General Mike Flynn (@GenFlynn) November 28, 2025
MORE NEWS: Maduro’s Cartel Stronghold in Shambles as U.S. Military Tightens the Noose, Closes Airspace [WATCH]
Authorities continue investigating the attack that killed Beckstrom and left Wolfe hospitalized.
Joe Kent was right
About EVERYTHING pic.twitter.com/Ojk6lY3sM9
— Jack Posobiec (@JackPosobiec) November 29, 2025
The opinions expressed by contributors and/or content partners are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Objectivist. Contact us for guidelines on submitting your own commentary.
Share your opinion
COMMENT POLICY: We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, vulgarity, hard-core profanity, all caps, or discourteous behavior. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain a courteous and useful public environment!