King Charles issued a statement Thursday addressing the arrest of his brother, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, saying that the matter will proceed through the legal system and that the royal family will cooperate fully, as reported by The Independent Journal Review.

Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested in connection with Jeffrey Epstein, according to a report from Mediaite.

Police confirmed that “a man in his sixties from Norfolk has been arrested and remains in police custody” as part of an investigation into suspected “misconduct in public office.”

Trump's Sovereign Wealth Fund: What Could It Mean For Your Money?

Mountbatten-Windsor was taken into custody at his home in Sandringham on his 66th birthday.

This Could Be the Most Important Video Gun Owners Watch All Year

Do you think there is more to the story about the disappearance of Nancy Guthrie that we're not being told?

By completing the poll, you agree to receive emails from Objectivist.co, occasional offers from our partners and that you've read and agree to our privacy policy and legal statement.

In a statement released Thursday, King Charles said, “I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office. What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities,” the monarch said in a statement.

“In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation.”

He added, “Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.”

“As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter,” the statement continued. “Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all. Charles R.”

The arrest comes amid renewed scrutiny of Mountbatten-Windsor’s past ties to Epstein following the release of millions of documents by the Department of Justice in January.

The files reportedly detailed additional contact between Mountbatten-Windsor and Epstein.

Epstein died in a New York jail in 2019 while awaiting trial on child sex charges.

According to emails published by the Justice Department, Mountbatten-Windsor appeared to have forwarded sensitive U.K. trade visit reports to Epstein.

Windsor/England: June 22, 2017: Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth and son Prince Andrew, Duke of York, head to Royal Ascot in a landau carriage

At the time of those communications, Mountbatten-Windsor held a senior government-linked role.

He served as the United Kingdom’s special representative for trade and investment from 2001 until July 2011, a position that connected him with business and diplomatic engagements.

The documents indicated that some of the contact occurred years after Epstein’s prior sex offense conviction.

Last year, Mountbatten-Windsor was stripped of his “prince” title by King Charles. He has consistently denied any financial or sexual wrongdoing.

The investigation is ongoing, and Mountbatten-Windsor remains in police custody as authorities continue to examine the allegations related to suspected misconduct in public office.

The opinions expressed by contributors and/or content partners are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Objectivist. Contact us for guidelines on submitting your own commentary.